Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Lesson in Passion Fruit Juice Making. I'm sure you've been dying to know!

We've recently had about 15 Passion Fruit fall off our plant so I attempted to make some fruit juice. Interesting process when each fruit contains 30-40 seeds. It is so amazing to me that this absolutely gorgeous flower turns into a peice of fruit with that many seeds. It's kind of like the caterpillar-butterfly thing.

After much straining, I got a small amount of concentrate, then added water and sugar and I think there is about 4 small glasses worth of juice. BUT WELL worth it. It took me back to my days in Hawaii!

So, if you are looking for a good vine to cover a trellis, plant a passion fruit. It grows very quickly, produces beautiful flowers and yummy juice!







2 comments:

Angela White said...

YUUUUMMM!!!Passion fruits remind me of Africa.

The vines also attract these REALLY wacky caterpillars that turn into beautiful butterflies!

micah and betsy said...

WOW! i'm impressed! i don't think i've ever seen the actual fruit! what a beautiful flower!!!! have a great day!