Sunday, May 02, 2010




Why is it so hard to step away from the all the small moments of life and reflect on the big picture? Kids, money, cooking, cleaning, phones, computers...they all consume me.

I was able to GET AWAY from it all two weeks ago, step away from my life and fly to Colorado to be with some of the most amazing women I have been honored to know. Five college friends and I went to the mountains for a time of restoration and it was beyond words, a gift to my soul.

We spoke of grief, pain, joy, marriage, money, sex, love and loss. In that space of 48 hours, I was deeply restored to remember who I am, who God is, and what deep friendships are about. To remember what I am about -- not what has happened to me but who I want to be was transformational.

Before being a mom, wife, an only child, I was Carrie, "spirited, strong and stubborn". Good or bad, that's me. These women rejoice in that with me and gently point out where the rough corners are and how to graciously be aware that time can bring change and healing. And it does. It was one of those moments in life that was a turning point in my journey, an awakening of the dark places in my heart and it brought new life to my spirit.

I am thankful for these 5 women. Unconditional love poured out and blessed me. A rare gift.

1 comment:

Leah Watson said...

Oh girl, I just love you. Your open, honest, yearning heart is remarkable. So thankful for all these years together. I am already looking forward to next year!!